"A simple sesame seed and black pepper crust gives the tuna a real boost of flavour."
Seared tuna tataki salad
1 cucumber, halved widthways and peeled
50g sesame seeds
1 tbsp black peppercorns
240g yellow fin tuna steak
2 tbsp vegetable oil
6 tbsp light soy sauce
1 x ½ pink grapefruit, juice
2 tbsp clear honey
1 x handful chives, to garnish
1. Run a vegetable peeler down the length of the cucumber, rotating as you peel, so you get long ribbons and are left with a central core of seeds. Discard the seeds and put the cucumber ribbons in a large bowl of ice-cold water to crisp up; put in the fridge to chill.
2. Meanwhile, toast the sesame seeds in a frying pan for 2 minutes until just golden; allow to cool. Roughly crush the peppercorns with a pestle and mortar, then add the sesame seeds and a pinch of salt and grind until everything is roughly crushed. Tip onto a plate.
3. Press the tuna into the sesame mixture, coating it all over. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the tuna for 1 minute on each side, so the outside is cooked, but the middle is still pink. Remove from the pan and set aside to rest on kitchen paper.
4. Drain the cucumber and pat dry with kitchen paper. Divide between 4 plates or place on one large platter. Slice the tuna as thinly as you can and place on top of the cucumber ribbons. Whisk the soy sauce, grapefruit juice and honey together and drizzle over the tuna. Sprinkle over the chives and serve.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes
Serves: 4, as a starter
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 3 ratings
This recipe was first published in Fri Jan 20 10:23:25 GMT 2012.