1½ tsp cumin seeds
1½ tsp fennel seeds
¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
450g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
7g sachet (or 2 tsp) fast action dried yeast
1 tsp salt
300g carrots, coarsely grated
4 tbsp vegetable or rapeseed oil
Seeded carrot flatbreads
1½ tsp cumin seeds
1. Lightly crush the seeds and chilli flakes using a pestle and mortar. Place in a bowl with the flour, yeast, salt and carrots. Add the oil and 200ml tepid water to the bowl. Stir with a round-bladed knife to make a firm dough. (If the mixture feels dry add a dash more water but take care not to add too much as the carrots release their juices during kneading and the dough will become stickier.)
2. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until elastic. (Alternatively, knead in a free-standing electric mixer for 5 minutes.) Drop into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave in a cool place until doubled in size (about 1½ hours).
3. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and cut into 12 pieces. Roll each piece to a thin round roughly 15cm in diameter. Leave on the surface for 15 minutes. Dust with plenty of flour when rolling so the dough doesn’t stick to the rolling pin.
4. Heat a large dry frying pan or stove-top griddle and cook the flatbreads, 2 at a time, for 5 minutes, turning once until golden. (By the time you’ve rolled them all, the first will be ready to cook.)
5. Stack the flatbreads, wrap in foil and keep warm in a low oven until ready to serve. (To get ahead, you can make the flatbreads earlier in the day, wrap in foil and reheat in the oven at 180ºC, gas mark 4 for about 20 minutes.)
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 19 ratings
This recipe was first published in Mon Sep 03 14:21:58 BST 2012.