"This is without doubt the king of marmalades – bitter, tangy and beautifully fragrant. Seville oranges only have a short season, but turn them into a preserve and you can enjoy them all year round. This is one of my favourite recipes." Jane Hasell-McCosh
Seville orange marmalade
3 seville oranges (about 450g)
1 medium white grapefruit (about 400g)
1 lemon (about 100g)
2kg granulated sugar
1. Remove the peel from all the fruit, taking care not to take any of the pith with it. Shred finely and place in a bowl. Chop the flesh of the peeled fruit and place in a separate bowl. Cover each with 1.5 litres water and allow to stand overnight.
2. Remove the chopped fruit from its soaking liquid with a slotted spoon, then tie up in a piece of muslin. Put in a large stainless steel pan along with the peel and all the soaking liquid. Simmer for 2 hours until the peel is tender; allow to cool slightly.
3. Preheat the oven to 130°C, gas mark ½. Put the sugar on a large baking tray and heat in the oven for 10 minutes. Hold the muslin bag over the pan and squeeze out as much liquid and pulp as possible; discard the bag.
4. Transfer everything to a clean stainless steel pan and add the warmed sugar. Heat over a medium-lowheat, stirring gently until the sugar has dissolved. Turn up the heat and boil for 20 - 30 minutes until the bubbles look large and a sugar thermometer reaches 105°C. Alternatively, check it has reached setting point by putting a teaspoon of marmalade onto a chilled saucer. Freeze for 30 seconds: it’s ready when a skin forms that wrinkles when prodded. If not, bubble the jam for a few more minutes and check again.
5. Skim any scum from the surface, then cool for 15 minutes. Pour into warm, sterilised jars, seal and use within 6 months. Once open, store in the fridge and use within 4 weeks.
- Preparation time: 2 hours, plus standing overnight
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Makes: about 2 litres
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 3 ratings
This recipe was first published in Fri Dec 30 11:41:00 GMT 2011.