These flavoursome nibbles can also be made with skinless boned chicken thighs. Toum, the garlicky accompaniment, is a must.
Shish Taouk (Marinated Chicken Skewers)
- 600g skinless chicken breasts, cut into large cubes
- lemon wedges, to serve
- 1 tsp double-concentrated tomato purée
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp fine salt
- Large pinch ground white pepper
- Put all the marinade ingredients in a small food processor or spice grinder and whiz to a thick paste. Place in a large mixing bowl and add the chicken cubes. Stir well, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight.
- Preheat the grill to its highest setting, or prepare a barbecue. Thread the chicken pieces on to skewers (if you're using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 1 hour beforehand). Place under the grill or on the barbecue and grill for 4-5 minutes each side or until cooked through and slightly charred. Arrange the chicken on a platter with the lemon wedges and serve hot or warm with salad and the toum.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus marinating
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
Serves: 8, as part of a spread of mezze
Average user rating Based on 11 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Jul 01 01:00:00 BST 2004.