It’s hard to beat a fine roast on a Sunday. Juicy lamb is great with salty samphire and buttery broad beans and the mashed potatoes help you mop up all the lovely juices.
Simple roast lamb with samphire and broad beans
- Preparation time: 15
- Cooking time: 2 hours
- Total time: 2 hours 15 minutes
2kg Waitrose New Zealand Whole Lamb Leg
1 large onion, thickly sliced
300ml dry white wine
250g frozen baby broad beans
1 tbsp olive oil
1 echalion shallot, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 x 90g packs Waitrose Samphire
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp Cooks’ Ingredients Nonpareille Capers, drained, rinsed and roughly chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Mashed potatoes, to serve
1. Take the lamb out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking. Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. Place the sliced onion in a roasting tin and pour over the wine and 150ml water. Sit the lamb on top and roast for 45 minutes, then reduce the heat to 190°C, gas mark 5 and cook for a further 1-1 ours until cooked to your liking. Remove the lamb from the oven, wrap in foil and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook the broad beans in a pan of boiling water for 3 minutes until tender, then drain and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the shallot and garlic for 2 minutes, then add the samphire and cook for 3 minutes until tender. Add the broad beans, lemon zest and juice and capers and cook for another 1-2 minutes until piping hot. Stir in the parsley.
4. Carve the lamb. Serve with the vegetables and mashed potatoes.