Sirloin steak with spiced beetroot salsa
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 5-10 minutes
- Total time: 20-25 Minutes
½ tsp cumin seeds, lightly crushed
½ tsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed
1 raw beetroot
½ stick celery, finely chopped
2 salad onions, thinly sliced
2 tsp white wine vinegar
1½ tsp caster sugar
2 tbsp chopped parsley
2 Waitrose Aberdeen Angus Dry Aged Sirloin Steaks, from the meat counter
1 tbsp olive oil
Splash of red wine
1. Heat the cumin and coriander seeds in a small, dry saucepan for 1 minute to lightly toast. Tip into a bowl. Peel and grate the beetroot into the bowl and add the celery, salad onions, vinegar, sugar and parsley. Mix well.
2. Pat the steaks dry on both sides and season lightly. Melt the butter with the oil in a frying pan. Once the butter sizzles, add the steaks and fry, turning once, until cooked to your liking. For rare steak allow 1 minute on each side. For medium, 2 minutes on each side and for well done, 4–5 minutes on each side.
3. Transfer the steaks to warmed serving plates. Add the wine to the pan juices and let the mixture bubble. Spoon over the steaks and serve with the beetroot salsa and chunky oven chips.