The long cooking time and low oven temperature ensure the meat is so tender and succulent that it’s almost falling off the bone, while the five spice and sweet-and-sour marinade give the ribs a temptingly oriental twist.
Slow-roasted sticky ribs
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
1kg essential Waitrose British Pork Spare Ribs
2 tsp Bart Chinese Five Spice
4 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp clear honey
1 tbsp vinegar (wine, rice, cider or malt — whichever you prefer)
1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC, gas mark 3. Place the ribs on a large double layer of foil and sprinkle with 1 tsp of the five spice and a pinch of salt. Close up the foil to form a tight parcel, place in a roasting tin and roast for 2 hours until the ribs are completely cooked through and the meat is very tender.
2. Mix together the hoisin sauce, honey, vinegar and remaining 1 tsp of five spice.
3. Raise the oven temperature to 200ºC, gas mark 6. Open up the foil and brush the ribs with the hoisin marinade, then return to
the oven, with the foil still open, for 10 –15 minutes until dark and sticky. Serve with your choice of side dishes.