The beef in this slow-roast recipe simply melts in the mouth and is full of flavour. It's ideal for a long lazy lunch with family or friends.
Slow Roasted Topside Beef with Porcini Mushrooms
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 195 minutes to 225 minutes
- Total time: 3 hours 25 minutes to 3 hours 55 minutes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 800g Aberdeen Angus topside of beef
- 2 red onions, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tbsp Waitrose tomato purée
- 1 Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients Bouquet Garni For Meat
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 500ml red wine
- 15g Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients Porcini Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- Preheat the oven to 160°C, gas mark 3. Heat half the oil in a flameproof casserole dish and brown the topside quickly in the hot oil, turning regularly. Remove from the dish.
- Heat the remaining oil in the casserole dish and lightly sauté the onions and garlic for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add the tomato purée and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add 500ml cold water and all the remaining ingredients except the cornflour and bring to the boil. Return the beef to the pan, cover and place in the oven for 3-3½ hours.
- When ready to serve, remove the beef from the pan and place onto a serving dish. Cover with kitchen foil and keep warm.
- Mix the cornflour to a paste with a little cold water and stir into the red wine sauce. Bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute on the hob until thickened. Season, and serve the sauce spooned over slices of the beef, with creamy polenta and green beans.