This simple, zesty pâté can be made a day in advance. It works beautifully with the wholesome, raisin-studded soda bread, any leftovers of which are delicious toasted and spread with salted butter the next day.
Smoked trout pâté with soda bread
SMOKED TROUT PATE
• 450g smoked trout fillets
• 100g soured cream
• 1½ tsp horseradish sauce
• 1½ tbsp capers, rinsed and chopped
• ½ lemon, zest and juice, plus extra zest for garnishing
• 1 tbsp chopped dill, plus extra for garnishing
OAT, CARAWAY AND RAISIN SODA BREAD
• 100g raisins
• 175g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
• 175g wholemeal flour
• 100g jumbo rolled oats
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 40g unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
• 1 tbsp caraway seeds
• 1 tbsp caster sugar
• 284ml buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. To make the soda bread, soak the raisins in a bowl of water until ready to use. Dust a baking sheet with a little plain flour. Put the flours, oats, salt, bicarbonate of soda and butter in a food processor and pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Tip the mixture into a bowl, stir through the caraway seeds, sugar and drained raisins, then make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk, stirring until you have a soft dough. Knead lightly and bring together into a round. Place on the baking sheet. Dust the handle of a wooden spoon with a little more flour and use to make a cross on the top of the loaf. Bake for 40 minutes until risen and golden, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
3. For the pâté, put all the ingredients in a bowl and mash together with a fork until combined. Season and transfer into 6 individual dishes or one large serving dish. Cover with clingfilm and chill until ready to serve.
4 Remove the pâté from the fridge 15 minutes before serving and garnish with a little more dill and lemon zest. Serve with slices of the soda bread, and some radishes and cornichons, if liked.
Typical values per serving:
Per serving. More info: 28.6g protein, 5.4g fibre.
Average user rating Based on 15 ratings