You can’t beat a crisp, buttery shortbread. Here it’s given a modern twist with sour cherries, chocolate and toasted coconut.
Sour cherry and coconut shortbread
60g sour cherries
125g salted butter, at room temperature
60g rice flour
120g plain flour
60g golden caster sugar
50g desiccated coconut
100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), melted
1 Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Put the cherries in a food processor and whizz for 5-10 seconds until roughly chopped. Add the butter, flours and sugar, and whizz until the mixture just comes together.
2. Roll out to a 21cm square and trim the sides to make a 20cm straight-sided square. Cut into 5cm x 5cm squares to produce 16 biscuits. Space apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet and chill for 20 minutes.
3. Bake for 20 minutes or until light golden. Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Meanwhile, put the coconut on a baking tray and bake for 3-4 minutes until toasted, tossing halfway if needed. Tip the coconut into a small bowl.
4. When the shortbread is cool, dunk 1⁄2 of each biscuit in the chocolate, then the coconut. Leave to set before serving.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes, plus chilling
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes, plus chilling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 3 ratings