You can’t beat a crisp, buttery shortbread. Here it’s given a modern twist with sour cherries, chocolate and toasted coconut.
Sour cherry and coconut shortbread
- Preparation time: 25 minutes, plus chilling
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes, plus chilling
60g sour cherries
125g salted butter, at room temperature
60g rice flour
120g plain flour
60g golden caster sugar
50g desiccated coconut
100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), melted
1 Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Put the cherries in a food processor and whizz for 5-10 seconds until roughly chopped. Add the butter, flours and sugar, and whizz until the mixture just comes together.
2. Roll out to a 21cm square and trim the sides to make a 20cm straight-sided square. Cut into 5cm x 5cm squares to produce 16 biscuits. Space apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet and chill for 20 minutes.
3. Bake for 20 minutes or until light golden. Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Meanwhile, put the coconut on a baking tray and bake for 3-4 minutes until toasted, tossing halfway if needed. Tip the coconut into a small bowl.
4. When the shortbread is cool, dunk 1⁄2 of each biscuit in the chocolate, then the coconut. Leave to set before serving.