Bringing all the ingredients to room temperature before baking will help to prevent the melted butter solidifying when you mix the cake. If this does happen, it isn’t a disaster by any means but the cake may be slightly heavier as a result.
Spelt Rhubarb Cake with Cinnamon Crunch
- 225 g spelt flour
- 200 g ground almonds
- 225 g light brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 small orange, finely grated zest and juice
- 2 ½ tsp groung cinnamon
- 75g Unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 250 ml milk
- 300g forced rhubarb, chopped
- 3 tbsp demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5 and line a 23cm springform tin with baking paper.
- Mix the spelt flour, ground almonds, light brown sugar, salt, baking powder, orange zest and 1 tsp ground cinnamon together in a large bowl. Combine the melted butter and eggs in a small bowl and whisk in the milk and orange juice.
- Fold the milk mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring briefly until combined. Do not overmix or the cake will be heavy.
- Pour a third of the batter into the tin. Scatter over half the rhubarb. Add another third of batter, then cover with the rest of the rhubarb. Top with the remaining batter and sprinkle with the demerara sugar and the rest of the cinnamon.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, until the cake begins to pull away from the tin’s edges. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before turning out on a wire rack.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes, plus cooling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 7 ratings
This recipe was first published in January 2009.