A warming, winter salad perfectly balanced with notes of citrus, chilli and spice
Spice-crusted carrot, beetroot, orange and chilli salad
1 bunch beetroot (about 500g)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus an extra drizzle
3 x 150g packs baby topped carrots
2 large red onions, each cut into 8 wedges
1 tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed
½ tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp soft light brown sugar
1 orange, zest and juice
1 red chilli, finely sliced (deseeded, if liked)
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
28g pack flat leaf parsley, leaves picked
½ x 20g pack mint, leaves roughly chopped
80g English goats’ cheese, roughly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 220˚C, gas mark 7. Trim the beetroot, leaving a little of the stem intact. Scrub any excess dirt from the skins and cut into 1.5cm thick wedges. Toss with ½ tbsp oil, season and scatter on a large foil-lined baking tray. Roast for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, toss the carrots and onions with the fennel seeds, chilli flakes, sugar, orange zest and another ½ tbsp oil; season. Add to the baking tray and roast for another 20-25 minutes, tossing halfway through; set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, put the orange juice in a large bowl with the remaining 2 tbsp oil, the red chilli and sherry vinegar; season.
4. Toss the roasted vegetables and most of the herbs with the dressing, then scatter over a large serving dish or divide between plates. Top with the goats’ cheese and reserved herbs, then scatter over a few pumpkin seeds and drizzle with a little more olive oil, if liked, before serving.
This recipe first appeared in the Waitrose Kitchen magazine app. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes, plus cooling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Jan 01 14:46:53 GMT 2015.