A warming, winter salad perfectly balanced with notes of citrus, chilli and spice
Spice-crusted carrot, beetroot, orange and chilli salad
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes, plus cooling
1 bunch beetroot (about 500g)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus an extra drizzle
3 x 150g packs baby topped carrots
2 large red onions, each cut into 8 wedges
1 tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed
½ tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp soft light brown sugar
1 orange, zest and juice
1 red chilli, finely sliced (deseeded, if liked)
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
28g pack flat leaf parsley, leaves picked
½ x 20g pack mint, leaves roughly chopped
80g English goats’ cheese, roughly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 220˚C, gas mark 7. Trim the beetroot, leaving a little of the stem intact. Scrub any excess dirt from the skins and cut into 1.5cm thick wedges. Toss with ½ tbsp oil, season and scatter on a large foil-lined baking tray. Roast for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, toss the carrots and onions with the fennel seeds, chilli flakes, sugar, orange zest and another ½ tbsp oil; season. Add to the baking tray and roast for another 20-25 minutes, tossing halfway through; set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, put the orange juice in a large bowl with the remaining 2 tbsp oil, the red chilli and sherry vinegar; season.
4. Toss the roasted vegetables and most of the herbs with the dressing, then scatter over a large serving dish or divide between plates. Top with the goats’ cheese and reserved herbs, then scatter over a few pumpkin seeds and drizzle with a little more olive oil, if liked, before serving.