Cook spice crusted belly pork in the oven so it’s meltingly tender and delicious, then place it on the barbecue to crisp and colour the surface. The salad can be made several hours ahead and chilled so the celeriac softens a little and the flavours develop.
Spice crusted pork with apple and celeriac salad
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- Total time: 3 hours 35 minutes
Serves: 4.6 (with other meat)
2 x 500g packs (or 1kg) British belly pork, in one piece, skin removed
2 tsp Bart Black Peppercorns, freshly ground
1 tsp Bart Caraway Seeds
½ tsp Bart Ground Allspice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
25g light or dark muscovado sugar
1 tsp salt
For the salad:
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 red skinned dessert apples, eg Pink Lady
1 small celeriac, about 500g
10 radishes, thinly sliced
25g pack fresh chives, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6. Using a sharp knife make shallow cuts across the skinned side of the pork and place in a roasting tin. Mix together the pepper, caraway seeds, allspice, garlic, sugar and salt and rub all over the surface, pushing it down into the slits. Place in a roasting tin and roast for 30 minutes.
2. Reduce the oven temperature to 150oC, gas mark 2 and roast for a further 2½ hours or until the meat is very tender.
3. For the salad, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mayonnaise and mustard in a large bowl. Core and thinly slice the apples and turn in the dressing to coat them all over. Cut away the skin from the celeriac. Slice the flesh as thinly as possible then slice across in the opposite direction into thin matchstick pieces. Add to a bowl with the radishes and chives. Season lightly and mix well. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
4. To add that chargrilled flavour: light the barbecue about 30 minutes before cooking to allow the flames to die down then lift the pork from the roasting tin and place on the barbecue. Cook for about 5–10 minutes, turning several times. Slice thickly and serve with the salad.