These lightly spiced pasties topped with aromatic nigella seeds are perfect for picnics.
Spiced lamb pasties
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, cut into small dice
250g lean lamb
1 tbsp curry paste
150ml lamb or chicken stock
200g frozen essential Waitrose Garden Peas
250g pack Waitrose Microwaveable Cooked Basmati Rice
320g Jus-Rol Light Puff Pastry Sheet
2 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
1 tbsp Bart Nigella seeds
1. Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and carrot for
4–5 minutes until softened. Stir in the lamb, curry paste and stock and simmer for 15 minutes until the liquid evaporates.
2. Tip the lamb mixture into a large bowl and stir in the frozen peas
and cold cooked rice straight from the pack.
3. Preheat the oven to 220ºC, gas mark 7. Cut the pastry into quarters then roll out each piece to make an 18cm square. Divide the filling between the squares. Dampen the edges with milk then pull the four corners up so they meet in the centre. Firmly press the edges together to seal. Repeat to make four pasties.
4. Transfer the pasties to a large, non-stick baking sheet and brush with milk. Sprinkle over the nigella seeds and bake for 20 minutes until puffed and golden brown.
If you prefer a sweeter-flavoured pasty, leave out the curry paste
and stir 1 tbsp mango chutney in with the peas and rice.
- Preparation time: 35 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 19 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Jun 25 16:38:00 BST 2014.