The warmly spiced sponge balances the sharpness of the rhubarb brilliantly. Whipped cinnamon cream makes an ideal accompaniment.
Spiced rhubarb cake with cinnamon cream
150g salted butter, melted andcooled, plus extra for greasing
400g rhubarb, trimmed and cutinto 0.5cm slices
225g caster sugar, plus an extra 2 heaped tbsp
3 tsp ground cinnamon
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 tsp ground ginger
225g self-raising flour
75g flaked almonds
300ml double cream
3-4 tbsp icing sugar, to taste
1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1. Preheat the oven to 160˚C, gas mark 3. Grease a 23cm springform cake tin and line the base with baking parchment. Mix the rhubarb with the extra 2 heaped tbspcaster sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat the remaining 225g sugar and 2 tsp ground cinnamon with the melted butter, eggs, vanilla and ginger. Mix in the flour, followed by the rhubarb, until everything is combined.
3. Pour the cake mixture into the tin and smooth the surface, making sure the batter is evenly distributed before scattering over the flaked almonds. Bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean; cover with foil after 1 hour if it starts to brown too much. Leave to cool in the tin.
4. When you are ready to serve, whisk the cream with the icing sugar, cinnamon and vanilla to soft, light, pillowy peaks. Serve each slice of cake with a generous dollop of the cinnamon cream on the side.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Kitchen magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes, plus cooling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 115 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Apr 01 15:27:00 BST 2015.