3 tbsp oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
1 green chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
28g pack coriander
2 x 5cm pieces Cooks’ Ingredients Turmeric, peeled and roughly chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
250g yellow split peas, rinsed
400g can coconut milk
400ml vegetable stock
1 pack Waitrose 1 Baby Cauliflower, quartered
1 essential Waitrose Aubergine, diced
175g pack Waitrose Okra
2 tsp garam masala
Spiced vegetable dhal
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
3 tbsp oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan and fry the onion for 4-5 minutes.
2. Put the garlic, chilli, coriander stalks (only), turmeric and cumin in a food processor with 1 tbsp oil. Pulse to a coarse paste. Add to the onions and fry for 1 minute.
3. Stir in the split peas, coconut milk and half the stock. Cover and bring to the boil. Simmer over a low heat for 40-45 minutes, gradually adding the remaining stock until tender. Stir the dhal frequently to prevent sticking.
4. Meanwhile, blanch the cauliflowers for 2 minutes, drain and place in a roasting tin with the aubergine and okra. Toss with the remaining oil and garam masala, and roast for 15 minutes. Chop the coriander leaves and stir into the dhal. Serve topped with the roasted vegetables.