The beetroot and colourful wild rice makes this a really attractive side dish.
Spiced Beetroot and Wild Rice Salad
- 500g raw beetroot, scrubbed
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 300 g Waitrose Wholesome Brown Basmati, Red Camargue and Wild Rice
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbs hot horseradish sauce
- 15g pack fresh dill, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Rub the beetroot with 1 tbsp of the olive oil and place in a large sheet of foil, sprinkled with the seeds. Scrunch the foil to enclose the beetroot. Cook on a baking sheet for 45 minutes – 1 hour, until tender. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in a pan of boiling salted water for 20-25 minutes, until tender. Drain well and refresh under cold running water. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil in a small pan and add the shallots. Cook gently for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Remove from the heat and whisk in the lemon zest and juice, horseradish sauce and dill. Season and stir into the rice.
- Peel the beetroot and cut them into bitesize pieces. Fold through the rice and serve.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes plus cooling
- Cooking time: 45 minutes - 1 hour
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 2 ratings
This recipe was first published in November 2009.