A fantastic, light alternative to rich Christmas pudding.
Spiced plum trifles
- Preparation time: Prepare 20 minutes, plus chilling
- Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
- Total time: 35-40 minutes, plus chilling
8 large plums, quartered, stones removed
3 tbsp caster sugar
1 vanilla pod, halved lengthways
1 piece pared lemon rind
2 cardamom pods
2cm piece root ginger, peeled
250g Madeira cake, cut into cubes
250ml tub Waitrose Spiced Plum and Rum Cream
25g shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
For the custard:
284ml carton double cream
3 egg yolks
2 tsp cornflour
25g caster sugar
- Place the plums, port, sugar, vanilla pod, lemon rind, cardamom and ginger in a saucepan. Set over a gentle heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved, then simmer for 10 minutes, or until the plums are tender.
- Set aside to cool completely, then remove the vanilla, cardamom, ginger and lemon rind. Divide the plums and their juice between 8 individual trifle dishes and top with the Madeira cake.
- To make the custard, heat the double cream in a heavy-based pan until almost boiling. Whisk together the egg yolks, cornflour and sugar in a heatproof bowl, then add the hot cream, stirring all the time.
- Return the custard mixture to the pan and stir over a gentle heat until thickened. Do not allow the mixture to boil or it will split. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely, then spoon over the plums and Madeira cake.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours, until set, then top with the plum and rum cream. Sprinkle over the pistachios and serve.