- 400g potatoes, peeled
- 700g parsnips, peeled
- 2 onions, very finely sliced
- 1½ tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ x 20g pack fresh mint, roughly chopped (optional)
- 100ml whipping cream
- 75g butter
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
Spiced Potato And Parsnip Mash With Cinnamon Onions
- Cut the potatoes and parsnips into bite-sized chunks. Place them in separate pans, cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until soft. Drain the potatoes thoroughly and return them to the saucepan. Put a clean tea towel on top of them and cover with a lid. Let the potatoes sit for a few minutes over a very low heat – this dries them out and gives you a better mash.
- Meanwhile, fry the onions in the oil until golden. Turn the heat up and quickly allow the onions to brown so some of them become crisp. Add ½ teaspoon of the cinnamon and season with the lemon juice and fresh mint, if using.
- Thoroughly drain the parsnips and purée them with the cream in a food processor. Mash the potatoes until smooth. Melt the butter in a pan, add the cayenne and remaining cinnamon, and cook for less than 1 minute. Stir in the potato and parsnips, and beat together. Season well. Serve in a warmed bowl with the onions piled on top. This is good with griddled lamb steaks.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 5 ratings
This recipe was first published in Sat Sep 01 01:00:00 BST 2007.