This savoury recipe combines fresh exotic fruit with spicy, sour and salty ingredients to give a really authentic Indonesian flavour. Great as a starter, side or main course.
Spicy Asian salad
For the dressing:
3 tbsp Thai Taste Palm Sugar
3 tbsp Malay Taste Kicap Manis Sauce
1/2 tsp Thai Taste Shrimp Paste
2 tbsp Thai Taste Sriracha Hot Chilli Sauce
2 tbsp Thai Taste Tamarind Paste
For the salad:
1 tbsp sesame seeds
25g roasted salted peanuts
200g dried rice noodles
1 green apple, cored and finely sliced
1 small firm mango, stone removed, peeled and sliced
3 thick slices fresh pineapple, peeled and sliced
1/2 cucumber, peeled, deseeded and sliced
Juice 2 limes
- Heat all the dressing ingredients in a small pan over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved. remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Warm a small frying pan over a lo heat. Add the sesame seeds and toast for 2-3 minutes until golden. Tip into a large pestle and mortar and leave to cool a little before pounding with the peanuts until coarsely ground.
- Soak or cool the noodles according to the instructions on the pack, then drain.
- Toss all the fruit and cucumber in the lime juice in a large bowl. Add the noodles and half of the dressing and toss again to coat. Divide between 4 plates, drizzle with the remaining dressing and scatter with the toasted seeds and nuts. Serve immediately.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 12 minutes
Serves: Serves 4, as a main course
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 1 rating
This recipe was first published in Wed Mar 11 10:18:33 GMT 2015.