A warming vegetarian hotpot ideal for all the family.
Spinach, chickpea and potato hotpot
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes
2 tbsp olive oil
3 onions, sliced
2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
1 1/2 tsp ras el hanout spice blend
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
400g can essential Waitrose Chick Peas, drained and rinsed
100g pack baby spinach
500g Charlotte potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
15g butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until golden. Stir in the bouillon powder, 1 tsp of the spice blend, the fennel seeds, chick peas and 300ml boiling water.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook very gently for 10 minutes. Stir in the spinach until wilted, season, then turn into a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add the potatoes and return to the boil. Cook for 1 minute then drain thoroughly and scatter half over the filling.
- Mix the remaining spice blend with the butter and some seasoning. Brush half over the potatoes. Scatter the remaining potatoes on top and brush with the remaining butter. Bake for 1 hour until the potatoes are crisp and golden.