A tasty vegetarian low fat supper.
Spinach, tomato and chick pea curry
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp Bart Veeraswamy Medium Moglai Curry Paste
- 400g can Waitrose Organic chopped tomatoes
- 410g can Waitrose Organic chick peas
- 250g bag essential Waitrose Spinach, roughly shredded
- 4 tbsp natural yogurt
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and cook the garlic, onion and ginger together for 5 minutes until softened and golden. Stir in the curry paste and cook for a minute, then add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes to make a thick sauce, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the chick peas with their liquid and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, then season and stir in the shredded spinach. Cook gently together for a couple of minutes until the spinach is just cooked. Check seasoning and serve with a spoonful of yogurt, then scatter with chopped coriander. Serve with warm naan bread.
You can follow step 1, then freeze the tomato sauce for future use. Just thaw and continue as above.
Find a good deal in our French Wine Showcase: try a refreshing rosé here with a hint of spice, such as the Libelulle Grenache Gris Rose 2009 Languedoc Roussillon, France.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 172 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Sep 01 01:00:00 BST 2010.