This traditional Swiss dish is a great way of using up surplus potatoes. It makes a superb, colourful brunch or side dish alongside chops or chicken.
Spring green rösti with roasted tomatoes
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
200g pack Waitrose Spring Greens
400g pack Waitrose Cherry Vine tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
3 medium red-skinned potatoes, about 500g, coarsely grated
4 salad onions, thinly sliced
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp chopped basil or parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 200ªC, gas mark 6. Cook the spring greens in a pan of boiling water for 3–4 minutes until tender, then drain.
2. Meanwhile, place the vine tomatoes on a baking tray, scatter with the garlic and drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil. Roast for 15–20 minutes until softened but still holding their shape.
3. Roughly chop the cooked greens and mix with the grated potato, salad onions, cumin seeds and chopped herbs.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a 22cm non-stick frying pan and add the rösti mixture, pressing it down with a fish slice. Cook the rösti gently for 10–15 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through. Cut into wedges and serve with the roasted tomatoes.