Sweet roasted squash with bitter leaves and a refreshing sharpness of parsley and lemon make for a comforting yet healthy winter salad
Squash, chard and red chicory salad
½ squash (at least 500g), cut into 2 cm thick wedges, seeds reserved
1 tbsp cold pressed rapeseed oil
200g pack chard, washed and roughly chopped
2 x 140g packs red chicory, trimmed, quarter lengthways, outer leaves reserved
1 lemon, zest an juice of ½
25g pack flat leaf parsley, stalks finely chopped, leaves torn
50g curd cheese or ricotta
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. Remove and discard any flesh from the seeds, then soak them in a bowl of boiling water for 5 minutes; drain and dry well on kitchen paper. Toss the seeds with the squash on a large parchment-lined tray with ½ the oil; season. Spread in an even layer and roast for 20-25 minutes, turning halfway, until tender.
2. Scatter the chard over the squash and return to the oven for 4-5 minutes, until slightly charred but still bright in colour. Set everything aside for 2-3 minutes to cool.
3. Toss the squash and chard with the chicory, lemon zest and juice, most of the parsley and the remaining ½ tbsp oil; season. Divide between plates or spread on a large platter, dotting with spoonful of the curd cheese or ricotta. Spoon over any excess dressing from the tray, scatter with the remaining parsley and finish with a drizzle more oil, if liked.
This recipe first appeared in the Waitrose Kitchen magazine app. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes, plus cooling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Jan 01 14:56:20 GMT 2015.