These are deliciously moist and fruity, and taste just as good a couple of days after baking. Serve drizzled with icing.
Squidgy Pineapple and Allspice Cakes
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes
- 75g lightly salted butter, plus extra for greasing
- ½ Fairtrade Pineapple
- 200g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 100g black treacle
- 6 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 100g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease 8 x 150ml individual loaf tins, see Cook's tip. Line the bases and long sides with strips of baking paper. Cut away the skin and core of the pineapple, then chop the flesh into small pieces. You will need 250g total weight for the cakes.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and allspice into a bowl. Put the sugar, treacle and butter in a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved and the butter melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the milk, then the egg. Pour over the dry ingredients and stir until well mixed. Add half the pineapple pieces and divide among the prepared tins. Scatter the surface of each tin with the remaining pineapple pieces.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until risen and just firm to the touch. Loosen the ends of the cakes with a knife and lift out on to a wire rack to cool.
- Beat the icing sugar with 2-3 teaspoons water to make a thin icing. Drizzle over the cakes using a teaspoon.