Try this sweet and sour jam with other meats too.
Steak with sweet potato chips and roast pepper jam
2 essential Waitrose sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
2½ tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
2 echalion shallots, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, finely sliced
2 piquillo or roasted red peppers, drained and thinly sliced
1 tsp small capers, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
1 tbsp light brown soft sugar
2 essential Waitrose British beef rump steaks (about 125g each), trimmed of excess fat
1. Preheat the oven to 220˚C, gas mark 7. On a large baking tray (or 2 smaller ones), toss the sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp olive oil and ½ tsp paprika; season. Spread in an even layer and roast for 30 minutes, turning halfway through, until crisp.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan. Add the shallots and garlic, then cook over a medium heat until soft and starting to caramelise– about 8 minutes. Add the peppers, capers, vinegar and sugar. Season and simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the vinegar has reduced and it becomes jam-like. Take off the heat; set aside.
3. Put a griddle pan over a high heat (or use a hot barbecue). Rub the steaks with the remaining ½tbsp oil and ½ tsp paprika; season. Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side for medium-rare, or until cooked to your liking; take off the heat and rest under foil for 10 minutes. Serve with the crispy potatoes and pepper jam.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Kitchen magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more
- Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus resting
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes, plus resting
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 1 rating
This recipe was first published in Mon Jun 01 14:35:27 BST 2015.