Try this sweet and sour jam with other meats too.
Steak with sweet potato chips and roast pepper jam
- Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus resting
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes, plus resting
2 essential Waitrose sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
2½ tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
2 echalion shallots, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, finely sliced
2 piquillo or roasted red peppers, drained and thinly sliced
1 tsp small capers, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
1 tbsp light brown soft sugar
2 essential Waitrose British beef rump steaks (about 125g each), trimmed of excess fat
1. Preheat the oven to 220˚C, gas mark 7. On a large baking tray (or 2 smaller ones), toss the sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp olive oil and ½ tsp paprika; season. Spread in an even layer and roast for 30 minutes, turning halfway through, until crisp.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan. Add the shallots and garlic, then cook over a medium heat until soft and starting to caramelise– about 8 minutes. Add the peppers, capers, vinegar and sugar. Season and simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the vinegar has reduced and it becomes jam-like. Take off the heat; set aside.
3. Put a griddle pan over a high heat (or use a hot barbecue). Rub the steaks with the remaining ½tbsp oil and ½ tsp paprika; season. Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side for medium-rare, or until cooked to your liking; take off the heat and rest under foil for 10 minutes. Serve with the crispy potatoes and pepper jam.