Allow marinating time for this rich beef, Guinness and wine recipe.
Steak and Guinness pie
- Preparation time: 3 hours, plus marinating
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Total time: 3 hours, 45 minutes plus marinating
- 1kg ox cheeks, cut into large cubes
- 300ml Guinness
- 150ml full-bodied red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 Cooks’ Ingredients thyme sprigs
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 100g smoked lardons
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 10g unsalted butter
- 400g frozen all butter puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg, beaten
- Marinate the meat, Guinness, wine and herbs in the fridge for at least 6 hours.
- Drain the meat (keep the marinade), coat in the flour; season. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan; brown half the ox cheeks. Set aside, wipe the pan, then brown the rest.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a casserole; cook the onions and lardons for 10 minutes. Stir in the meat, marinade and herbs, tomato purée and worcestershire sauce; season. Cover; simmer for 2 hours 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200c, gas mark 6. Fry the mushrooms in the butter over a high heat for 4 minutes. Spoon, with the stew, into a 20cm x 30cm pie dish. On a floured surface, roll the pastry out a bit larger than the dish; top the pie with the pastry and cut a cross in it. Trim away the excess and press down around around the edges. Brush with egg.
- Bake for 45 minutes until the pastry is puffed and gravy bubbles at the edges. Let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.