150g unsalted butter, softened
175g golden caster sugar
2 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
225g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
4 tbsp double cream
150g light brown muscovado sugar
2 pieces stem ginger, chopped
Sticky rhubarb and stem ginger pudding
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4. Wash the rhubarb, cut into 3cm pieces, then place in a pan. Cover and cook gently in the oven for 8-10 minutes until tender. Spoon into shallow dish and leave to cool.
2. Beat half the butter (75g) with the caster sugar until pale and light, then beat in the eggs, one at a time. Sift the flour with the baking powder and ground ginger and fold into the creamed ingredients, along with the cooled rhubarb. Spoon into a buttered 1.75 litre shallow baking dish and level the surface. Cook for 30-35 minutes until well-risen and firm to the touch.
3. While the pudding is cooking, place the cream, muscovado sugar, ginger and remaining butter together in a pan. Heat until melted then cook gently, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes until thick, and set aside. Remove the pudding from the oven and pour the sauce over it. Return the dish to the oven for 5 minutes until bubbling and golden. Serve with Waitrose Seriously Creamy Madagascan Vanilla Ice Cream or some single cream.