The Greek yogurt gives this stunning pavlova a real lightness, but whipped double cream is also good if you want to ramp up the indulgence factor. The meringue can be made up to two days ahead – just store in an airtight container before filling and serving.
Strawberry pavlova with mint sugar
7g Waitrose Cooks’ Homebaking freeze-dried strawberries
3 large egg whites
175g caster sugar
400g strawberries, hulled and sliced
50g icing sugar
1⁄2 large lemon, juice
1 tbsp granulated sugar
7 large fresh mint leaves
300g Greek yogurt
1. Preheat the oven to 120 ̊C, gas mark 1⁄2; line a baking tray with baking parchment. Put the freeze-dried strawberries into a small bowl and crush with the end of a rolling pin to a fine powder (or whizz in a spice grinder); set aside.
2.Put the egg whites in a large bowl and whisk to stiff peaks. Add the caster sugar a spoonful at a time, whisking well after each addition, until all the sugar has been added and the meringue is stiff and glossy. Gently fold in the powdered strawberries.
3. Dollop the meringue onto the tray to create a 20cm circle. Wet a spoon and use the back to thin the meringue in the middle and create swirls. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until the meringue lifts off the parchment without sticking. Turn off the oven, set the door slightly ajar and leave the meringue to cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, make the coulis. Put 100g strawberries in a small pan with the icing sugar and 1 tbsp cold water. Gently heat until the sugar has dissolved and the strawberries have started to break down. Whizz with a stick blender until smooth. Sieve into a clean pan, then add the lemon juice. Bring to the boil and bubble for 30 seconds, until slightly thickened. Take off the heat; set aside to cool completely.
5. In a pestle and mortar, pound the granulated sugar with the mint until it turns green. Transfer the meringue from the parchment to a serving plate. Spread the Greek yogurt over it, then top with the remaining berries, the coulis and the mint sugar; serve immediately.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 90 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours, plus cooling
Serves: 6 - 8
Typical values per serving:
Per serving (8)
Average user rating Based on 5 ratings
This recipe was first published in Tue Aug 04 16:23:00 BST 2015.