200g caster sugar
3 egg whites
250ml double cream
½ vanilla pod, seeds scraped out (or ½ tsp vanilla extract)
redcurrant sprigs, to decorate
Summer currant meringues
1. Preheat the oven to 110˚C, gas mark ¼. Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment. Simmer the blackcurrants in a pan with 4 tbsp water for 6-8 minutes, until the fruit collapses, then stir in 50g sugar, until dissolved. Press 4 tbsp through a sieve to make a purée (discard the pulp). Set aside the purée and compote.
2. Using electric beaters, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks, then add the remaining 150g sugar, a little at a time, whisking between each addition. Drizzle the 4 tbsp blackcurrant purée over the top and fold through once to marble slightly. Spoon 12 equal, swirling mounds onto the baking sheets. Cook for 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes, then remove from the oven and leave to cool.
3. Whisk the cream and vanilla seeds (or extract) to soft peaks, then use to sandwich together pairs of meringues. Splash over some blackcurrant compote (loosen with a little water, if needed) and add a few redcurrants for decoration. LH
This recipe first appeared in the Harvest section of Waitrose Food, July 2016 issue. Download the Waitose Food app for the full issue
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 1 hour 4 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours, plus cooling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 8 ratings
This recipe was first published in Fri Jul 01 14:58:13 BST 2016.