1 of your 5 a day and quick to prepare.
Swede, leek and potato gratin
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 65 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 15g butter
- 350g leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 500g King Edward potatoes, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium swede, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 6–8 Cooks’ Ingredients Bay Leaves (fresh), torn in half
- 150ml essential Waitrose Whipping Cream
- 150ml essential Waitrose Semi-skimmed Milk
- Preheat the oven to 190c, gas mark 5. Melt the oil and butter together in a frying pan and add the leek and garlic. Cook gently for 5 minutes until softened but not coloured.
- Combine the leek mixture, potatoes and swede in a buttered 1.5 litre shallow ovenproof dish and season, layering in the bay leaves as you go. Mix the cream and milk together and pour over the vegetables.
- Bake for 1 hour until the vegetables are tender and the top golden. Cover with foil if the gratin browns too much. Serve with a salad or steamed broccoli.