1 of your 5 a day
Swede, leek and potato gratin
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Total time: 1 hour 20 mins
1 tbsp olive oil
350g leeks, thinly sliced
1 clove of garlic, crushed
500g King Edward potatoes, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1 medium swede, peeled and cut into matchsticks
6 – 8 fresh or Cooks Ingredients Wild Bay Leaves, torn in half
150ml essential Waitrose whipping cream
150ml essential Waitrose semi-skimmed milk
1. Preheat the oven to 190C Gas Mark 5. Melt the oil and butter together in a frying pan and add the leek and garlic. Cook gently for 5 minutes until softened but not coloured.
2. Combine the leek, potato and swede in a buttered 1.5 litre shallow ovenproof dish and season, tucking in the bay leaves layer as you go. Mix the cream and milk together and pour over the vegetables.
3. Bake for 1 hour until the vegetables are tender and the top golden. Cover with foil if the gratin browns too much. Serve with a salad or steamed broccoli.
- Cook’s tip: Use shredded kale or shredded Savoy cabbage as an alternative to leek.