Great for all the family these easy wedges are perfect when served with this deliciously fruity home made ketchup.
Sweet potato wedges with pineapple ketchup
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
Serves: Serves 2-4 (makes approx 1 litre ketchup)
2 tbsp olive oil
4 echalion shallots, finely sliced
6cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
6 all spice berries
4 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
1 large Waitrose Supersweet Pineapple, peeled, core removed, flesh chopped
200ml cider vinegar
200ml pineapple juice
Juice 3 limes
200g brown sugar
2 tbsp sundried tomato paste
For the wedges:
4 sweet potatoes, scrubbed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Place the oil and shallots in a medium saucepan over a medium heat and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the ginger, spices and garlic and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the prepared pineapple, vinegar, pineapple juice, lime juice, sugar and tomato paste and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat and continue to cook for 25 minutes, until slightly thickened and reduced and the pineapple is starting to break down.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool before puréeing with a hand blender. Tip into a sieve over a bowl and push the purée through with the back of a spoon. Pour the strained ketchup into sterilised bottles and store in a cool dry place for up to 3 months.
- To make the wedges, preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Cut the potatoes into long thin wedges. Toss in the oil, paprika and some salt and spread out in a single layer across 2 baking sheets. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden. Scatter with the chopped rosemary and serve with the pineapple ketchup.