These sweet strawberry canapés will add a bit of humour to Christmas drink's parties and celebratory meals.
Sweet Santa's hats
150g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch ground cloves
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
50g butter, softened
50g dark brown soft sugar
1 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg
2 tbsp clear honey
24 evenly sized, large strawberries
150ml whipping cream, lightly whipped
1. Preheat the oven to 170ºC, gas mark 3 and line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment. Place the flour, a pinch of salt, baking powder, spices, butter and sugar into a food processor. Blitz briefly. Whisk the egg and honey together in a separate bowl, then with the motor running on the food processor, slowly trickle in the egg mixture to make a firm dough – you might not need it all.
2. On a work surface dusted with flour, roll out the dough to about 5mm thick, then use a 4cm cutter to stamp out 24 rounds. Any leftover dough can be frozen.
3. Arrange the rounds on the baking sheets and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until slightly darker in colour. Cool on a wire rack.
4. Slice the top from each strawberry to leave a flat base. Using a piping bag with a small 0.5cm round nozzle, pipe a dot of cream into the centre of each cooled biscuit and top with a strawberry. Pipe around the base of each strawberry and finish with a small dot of cream on the pointed top to make a bobble for Santa’s hat. Serve immediately.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes, plus cooling
Typical values per serving:
Protein: 1.2g A serving is one Santa's hat.
Average user rating Based on 420 ratings
This recipe was first published in October 2013.