"This Mexican-style chilli, made using a 10 bean mix, has a lovely, smoky flavour, thanks to the chorizo and chipotle chilli. It’s low in fat is an excellent source of fibre and contains two of your five-a-day."
The ultimate 10 bean chilli
500g Waitrose 10 bean mix, soaked overnight in cold water
1 Olive oil spray
80g Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients Iberico de bellota diced chorizo
2 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
100g jar Discovery chipotle chilli paste, half
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
3 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
2 red and 2 yellow peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
4 rosemary sprigs
750ml Cooks’ Ingredients chicken or vegetable stock, hot
1. Drain the beans. Put in pan of fresh water and bring to the boil. Boil rapidly for 10 minutes, then lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour, topping up with boiling water from a kettle if necessary.
2. Meanwhile, spritz a large pan with olive oil spray, add the chorizo, onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring until the onion is softened and golden. Add the chilli paste, cinnamon and cumin and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in the tomatoes,
peppers, rosemary and stock and bring to the boil.
3. Drain the beans and add to the pan. Partially cover with a lid and simmer for a further hour or so until the beans are tender and the sauce has thickened. Serve with your choice of side dishes (see above, left).
Make this vegetarian by leaving out the chorizo, and adding 2 tsp smoked paprika with the other spices.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 120 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 85 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Jan 19 15:22:00 GMT 2012.