Even the simplest avocado on toast makes for a great start to the day. But this elevates the concept to a whole new level. Slice any leftover cornbread and freeze – you can toast it from frozen.
Toasted cornbread with avocado and chorizo
50g unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus extra for greasing
250g instant polenta
125g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
2 tsp caster sugar
2 x 284ml cartons buttermilk
3 salad onions, trimmed and finely sliced
½ x 28g pack coriander, stalks finely chopped, leaves torn
2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
100g chorizo, thinly sliced
1 avocado, thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. Grease a 900ml (2lb) loaf tin and line the base and long sides with baking parchment. Mix the polenta, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. In a jug, mix the buttermilk, eggs and butter, then stir into the dry ingredients until combined. Fold in the salad onions, coriander stalks and chillies.
2. Transfer to the prepared loaf tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean; cover with foil for the final 10-15 minutes if it browns too quickly. Cool completely in the tin before turning out.
3. Preheat the grill to medium (about 200˚C). Put the chorizo and 4 thick slices of cornbread on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Grill for 3-5 minutes on both sides, until crisp. Top the cornbread with the sliced avocado, crispy chorizo and coriander leaves, then serve, with lime wedges, chilli flakes and a splash of Tabasco sauce, if liked.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Kitchen magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 55 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes, plus cooling
Serves: 2 with leftover cornbread
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings
This recipe was first published in Mon Feb 02 12:47:00 GMT 2015.