For an alfresco lunch or supper, this classic tart tastes as good as it looks. Delicious warm or cold with a green salad.
Tomato & spinach tart
250g shortcrust pastry
Olive oil spray
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
260g pack essential Waitrose Spinach
250g essential Waitrose Reduced Fat Soft Cheese
2 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs, beaten
100g essential Waitrose Greek Light Salad Cheese, diced
50g toasted pine nuts
450g pack Waitrose Classic Vine Tomatoes, thinly sliced
½ tsp dried oregano or rosemary
1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC, gas mark 5. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 23cm loose-bottomed tart tin. Prick with a fork then line with baking parchment, fill with ceramic baking beans and bake for 10 minutes until set.
2. Meanwhile, spray a large frying pan with oil and cook the onion
and garlic for 5 minutes until softened. Add the spinach and cook over a fairly high heat until the spinach has wilted and any liquid
has evaporated. Tip the mixture into a large bowl.
3. Beat together the soft cheese and eggs then stir into the spinach mixture along with the salad cheese and pine nuts. Remove the baking beans from the case and spoon in the filling.
4. Arrange the tomato slices on top of the filling and spray lightly with the oil. Sprinkle over the dried herbs and a good grinding of black pepper and bake for 45 minutes until the filling is set. Leave to sit in the tin for 5 minutes then carefully lift out, slice and serve with salad.
To really make sure all the water has evaporated from the spinach, tip into a large sieve and press with a wooden spoon to extract
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 55 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 6 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu May 28 16:12:00 BST 2015.