Illustration shown with icing
Traditional Christmas cake recipe
- Orange zest
- Lemon zest
- 25g Waitrose Pecan Nuts, chopped
- 25g Waitrose Whole Almonds, chopped
- ½tsp mixed spice
- ¼tsp ground nutmeg
- 175g Waitrose Superfine Plain Flour, sifted
- 200g Waitrose Greek Currants
- 100g Waitrose Australian Sultanas
- 100g Waitrose Cape Raisins
- 85g Waitrose Glacé Provençal Cherries, quartered
- 40g Waitrose Italian Cut Mixed Peel
- 75g Waitrose Ready-to-Eat Dried Apricots, roughly chopped
- 50g Haven Glacé Pineapple Wedges, roughly chopped
- 2tbsp Waitrose 3 Year Old Brandy
- 175g unsalted butter
- 175g Billington's Natural Molasses Sugar
- 1tbsp black treacle
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Place the fruit in a large bowl, pour in the brandy, stir, cover and leave overnight.
- Prepare an 18cm round cake tin by greasing the base and sides and lining with a double thickness of baking parchment.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy (use an electric whisk if you have one), add the treacle and mix well.
- Gradually add the eggs a little at a time, beating well between each addition to prevent curdling. If the mixture does curdle add 1tbsp flour, beat until smooth, then continue to add the eggs.
- Gently fold in the flour and spices with a metal spoon. Fold in the nuts, lemon and orange zest and the soaked fruit mixture until well mixed.
- Carefully spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin, levelling the surface with the back of a spoon. Place a circular 'tent' of parchment paper, with a small hole in the middle, over the mixture. For extra protection, tie a double thickness band of brown paper around the outside of the tin to prevent the cake from cooking too quickly around the edges.
- Stand the cake tin on a couple of sheets of brown paper on a baking tray and place in a preheated oven 140ºC, gas mark 1 for about 3-3½ hours, or until a sharp knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin. When cold, remove from the tin and wrap in greaseproof paper or foil and store in an airtight tin. For a really moist cake, prick the cake with a fine skewer all over and feed with 1tbsp brandy every 2-3 weeks until ready to decorate. The cake will mature with keeping.