Total time: Ready in 2 hours
Traditional steak & mushroom pie
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 500g essential Waitrose British Diced Braising Steak
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 150ml red wine
- 500ml beef stock
- 250g Waitrose Chestnut Mushrooms, halved
- 320g Jus-Rol Puff Pastry Sheet
- 1 tbsp milk
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the steak over a high heat until nicely browned. Lift out with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the onion and carrots to the pan and cook for a few minutes until beginning to brown, then stir in the flour and cook for a minute or two.
2. Return the meat and any resting juices to the pan. Add the thyme, wine and stock, bring to a simmer then cover and cook gently for an hour until the meat is tender. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. Spoon the filling into a roughly 30x22cm pie dish. Brush the rim of the dish with water then lay the pastry sheet on top. Trim away any overhanging pastry and press down firmly to seal. Using a small, sharp knife, lightly score the pastry surface in a cross-hatch pattern then brush with milk and bake for 25–30 minutes until risen and golden.
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 140 ratings