These low-fat burgers with their mixture of lean turkey mince, dried apricots, fresh ginger, orange and sage are full of flavour and easy to make.
Turkey Burgers with Apricot and Ginger
- ½ x 250g pack Waitrose Soft Apricots, finely chopped
- Grated zest of 1 orange and 1 tbsp juice
- 2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 500g pack Waitrose Fresh Turkey Breast Mince
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 15g pack fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tsp oil, for brushing
- Place the chopped apricots in a small bowl and add the orange zest, orange juice and ginger. Stir, then leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the turkey mince, onion and sage, then stir in the apricot mixture. Season, and mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Divide the mixture into 4 and, with wet hands, shape into burgers. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to high or light the barbecue. Brush the burgers with the oil and cook for 6-8 minutes on each side until thoroughly cooked, the juices run clear and there is no pink meat. Serve the burgers in toasted, split pitta breads with Waitrose Herb Salad, sliced tomatoes and a spoonful of natural yogurt.
Open-freeze on a tray then pack into labelled containers or freezer bags and freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost thoroughly in the fridge before cooking. Always wash hands, equipment and work surfaces thoroughly after handling raw meat.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus 20 minutes chilling time
- Cooking time: 16 minutes
- Total time: 26 minutes, plus 20 minutes chilling time
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 25 ratings
This recipe was first published in Mon Aug 01 01:00:00 BST 2005.