How to cook a successful Christmas feast with a little help from Moyra Fraser
Turkey Gravy 1
- Cooking juices from the turkey
- 3tbsp plain flour
- About 600ml giblet stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A splash of dry sherry (optional)
- Spoon off all the excess fat from the turkey roasting tin (reserve this for roasting potatoes another day) leaving about 3tbsp liquid fat with the dark juices in the tin.
- Place the roasting tin on the hob over a low heat and sprinkle with the flour. With a balloon whisk, blend the flour into the juices to form a smooth paste. Cook over the heat for 1 minute until the flour turns a deep russet colour. Don't worry if it looks lumpy at this stage.
- Gradually whisk in the giblet stock until you have a smooth gravy. Bring the liquid to the boil then let it bubble and reduce a little to concentrate the flavour. Add a splash of sherry, if you wish, then taste the gravy and adjust the seasoning. Pour into a jug and keep warm.
If you're nervous about making gravy - or just want to save time - then buy Joubère Chicken Gravy 300g. Heat and serve as directed or skim all the fat from the turkey cooking juices then stir in the Joubère Chicken Gravy.
Average user rating Based on 2 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Dec 01 00:00:00 GMT 1999.