How to cook a successful Christmas feast with a little help from Moyra Fraser
Turkey Gravy 1
- Cooking juices from the turkey
- 3tbsp plain flour
- About 600ml giblet stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A splash of dry sherry (optional)
- Spoon off all the excess fat from the turkey roasting tin (reserve this for roasting potatoes another day) leaving about 3tbsp liquid fat with the dark juices in the tin.
- Place the roasting tin on the hob over a low heat and sprinkle with the flour. With a balloon whisk, blend the flour into the juices to form a smooth paste. Cook over the heat for 1 minute until the flour turns a deep russet colour. Don't worry if it looks lumpy at this stage.
- Gradually whisk in the giblet stock until you have a smooth gravy. Bring the liquid to the boil then let it bubble and reduce a little to concentrate the flavour. Add a splash of sherry, if you wish, then taste the gravy and adjust the seasoning. Pour into a jug and keep warm.