This succulent, bacon-latticed turkey should easily feed eight people.
Turkey with Bacon Lattice
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes per kg, about 3-4 hours, depending on the size of turkey, plus at least 30 minutes resting time
- Total time: 3 hours 45 minutes to 5 hours 15 minutes
- 1 medium Waitrose Fresh Bronze-Feathered Free Range Turkey, about 4-5.99kg
- 2-3 fresh bay leaves
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters lengthways
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into quarters lengthways
- 450g pack Waitrose Sausagemeat Stuffing (optional)
- 50g butter, melted
- 250g pack Waitrose Unsmoked Streaky English Bacon
- 2 x 508g Waitrose Luxury Garnish Selection Packs (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Remove the giblets from the turkey and set aside for gravy. Tear bay leaves in half and put with lemon and onion in the main cavity.
- Stuff the smaller neck cavity with the sausagemeat stuffing, if using, then pull the skin back over the neck. Use a cocktail stick to secure the skin flap underneath the bird. Brush the turkey skin with the melted butter and roast, covered in foil, according to the instructions on the pack.
- About 30-40 minutes before the end of cooking time, take the turkey from the oven and remove foil. Criss-cross bacon rashers in a lattice pattern across the breast. Arrange garnish around the turkey, if using, or in a separate roasting tray.
- Return to the oven and continue to roast until the turkey is thoroughly cooked and the bacon is crisp. Check the turkey is done by inserting a skewer into the thickest parts of the breast and thighs: the juices should run clear and there should be no pink meat. If the juices are still pink, return to the oven for 15 minutes before testing again.
- Transfer the turkey and garnish to a warm serving dish. Cover tightly with buttered foil, then place one or two clean tea towels on top. Leave to rest in a warm place for 30 minutes (it will stay hot for up to 1 hour).