Lemon and parsley complement this delicately-flavoured meat, while courgettes with cannellini beans make the perfect accompaniment served with crusty bread or boiled baby potatoes.
Veal Escalopes with Lemon and Parsley
- 1 pack parsley, finely chopped
- 1 pack Waitrose English Farmhouse Veal Escalopes (4 in a pack, total weight about 180g)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow courgette, diced
- 1 large green courgette, diced
- 410g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 100ml chicken stock
- 15g butter, cubed
- Sprinkle half the parsley over the escalopes pressing a little into each side. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and add 1 tbsp of the oil, add the courgettes and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the cannellini beans to the courgettes and stir until warmed through. Tip into a bowl and wipe the pan with kitchen paper.
- Season the escalopes. Heat the large frying pan over a high heat and add the remaining oil. When it is really hot, add the escalopes and fry for 1 1⁄2 minutes each side, until golden. Remove to a plate and cover with foil.
- Reduce the heat and add the lemon juice and stock to the pan. When it starts to bubble add the butter a cube at a time until the sauce is glossy. Stir in the lemon zest and put the escalopes back in the pan for about 30 seconds, then remove to a plate. Add the courgette mixture and the reserved parsley to the juices in the pan. Divide this vegetable and bean mixture between 2 plates and place 2 escalopes on top of each serving.
Instead of lemon juice and stock, use a full-flavoured white wine like Pinot Grigio. Take care when adding it to a hot pan as it may flame. Red kidney beans can be substituted for the cannellini.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 25 minutes
Typical values per serving:
3.9% fat per serving
Average user rating Based on 12 ratings
This recipe was first published in August 2001.