These vegetable pasties are perfect for bonfire night parties, or for picnics and lunch boxes.
Vegetable and taleggio pasties
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus cooling and chilling
- Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large leek, white part only, washed and finely sliced
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tsp chopped thyme leaves
1 tsp chopped rosemary leaves
250g potatoes, washed and cut into 5mm cubes
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 5mm cubes
4 tbsp double cream
200g Waitrose Taleggio PDO cheese, diced
Flour, for dusting
500g block shortcrust pastry
2 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg yolks
2 tbsp milk
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a low heat. Add the leek, garlic, thyme and rosemary and cook gently for 3-4 minutes until softened. Increase the heat slightly, add the potatoes and carrot and fry for a further 5-6 minutes until softened. Pour in the cream, stir to combine and set aside to cool completely.
- Stir the cheese into the cooled vegetable mixture and season to taste. Dust the work surface with flour and roll out the pastry a little thinner than a £1 coin. Using a 12cm plain round cutter or small bowl, cut out 8 discs. Divide the filling between them, placing it into the centre of each one. Mix together the egg yolks and milk to make a glaze, then brush the edges of the pastry.
- Fold the pastry over the filling, pinch and crimp to seal then place on a non-stick baking sheet. Glaze the tops then chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Bake the pasties for 35-40 minutes until golden then transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes before serving.