This vegetarian curry is perfect for feeding a crowd, especially when served with the classic accompaniments suggested in the recipe.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
For the curry:
2 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
300g jar Cooks' Ingredients Onion Base For Curry
200g jar Cooks' Ingredients Balti Curry Paste
400g Jersey Royal potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 cauliflower, trimmed and broken into florets
200g spring greens, tough core removed, leaves shredded
120g Cashew Nuts
100ml coconut cream
28g pack fresh coriander
2 x 300g packs Waitrose Tarka Dal
8 ready-to-eat poppadums
25g pack fresh mint, shredded
500g tub essential Waitrose Low Fat Natural Yogurt
3-4 Waitrose Classic Vine Tomatoes, chopped
1 small red onion, Mango chutney
- Warm the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion base and fry, stirring regularly, for 2 minutes. Stir in the curry paste followed by the potatoes and 500ml boiling water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until just tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cauliflower florets, bring back to the boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the spring greens and simmer gently for 10 minutes until tender.
- Toast the cashew nuts in a dry frying pan over a high heat for about 2 minutes, or until they begin to scorch in patches. Tip into a small food processor or pestle and mortar. Add the coconut cream and process or pound into a coarse paste then stir through the curry.
- Meanwhile, heat the dal and poppadums according to pack instructions. Make a raita by stirring the mint into the yogurt, and combine the tomato and red onion together to make a salad. Serve the curry garnished with the coriander, with the chutney and accompaniments alongside.