Give the family a warming winter treat with this hearty, vegetarian shepherd's pie, topped with a cheesy sweet potato mash.
Vegetarian shepherd's pie with sweet potato mash
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
2 parsnips, peeled and chopped into chunks
200ml vegetarian red wine
2 tbsp freshly chopped rosemary leaves
½ x 700g jar Waitrose Cooks' Ingredients Passata
420g can Waitrose Mixed Bean Salad, drained and rinsed
900g sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
75g Grated Davidstow Mature Cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Stir in the carrots and parsnips, and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the red wine, add the rosemary and simmer for 2-3 minutes until reduced by half. Stir in the passata and beans. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Transfer to a 2-litre shallow ovenproof dish.
- Meanwhile, cook the sweet potatoes in boiling water for about 10 minutes until tender. Drain and mash with half of the cheese. Season to taste, then spoon it over the vegetable mixture. Scatter over the remaining cheese and place in the oven. Cook for 20 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve with broccoli or shredded cabbage.